Saturday, February 24, 2024
HomeWorldThe US launches more attacks in Yemen against the Houthis.

The US launches more attacks in Yemen against the Houthis.

US Central Command (Centcom) said in a statement on X that the US launched additional strikes against Houthi missiles in Yemen on Sunday.

According to Centcom, four anti-ship missiles that “were prepared to launch against ships in the Red Sea” and a land-attack cruise missile were struck by US forces.

One day after US-UK strikes on Houthi targets, there is another round of military action.

It comes after a string of assaults on military and commercial ships in the Red Sea by a Yemeni faction supported by Iran.

The Houthis’ attacks have affected international trade by forcing big shipping companies to avoid the waterway.

According to Egypt, the amount of money it received from the Suez Canal fell by nearly half in January, and fewer ships passed through the vital trade route in that same month.

The joint US-UK strikes on Saturday lit up the night sky in the southern part of Sana’a, the capital of Yemen. A resident and human rights activist told the BBC that houses were trembling.

Regarding the US-led strikes, Houthi officials sounded a defiant note and promised to respond.

Yahya Sarea, the group’s military spokesman, responded to the strikes on Saturday by writing on X, saying, “These attacks will not deter us from our moral, religious, and humanitarian stance in support of the resilient Palestinian people in the Gaza Strip and will not go unanswered or unpunished.”

The White House had earlier issued a warning, stating that its airstrikes against targets in Syria and Iraq that Iran supports are “the beginning, not the end” of its response to Iran.

Jake Sullivan, the national i, told US media on Sunday that “there will be more steps”.

In response to an enemy drone attack on a military base in Jordan last week that claimed the lives of three soldiers, the US is taking action.

Iran has denied any role in the drone strike, while the Islamic Resistance in Iraq, one of its affiliates, has taken credit.

Iran made the drone, according to the US, which also claims Tehran left “fingerprints” on the attack.

President Joe Biden said that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and militia groups affiliated with the IRGC were the targets of the Friday retaliatory strikes in a letter to Congress on Sunday.

There are suspicions that Islamic Resistance in Iraq was armed, trained, and supported by Iran’s IRGC.

According to Mr. Biden, among the locations targeted were those for “command and control, weapons storage, training, logistics support, and other purposes.”

Furthermore, he stated that the strikes were conducted “to limit the risk of escalation and avoid civilian casualties” to discourage these groups from launching additional attacks.

He additionally stated that he would “direct additional measures, including against the IRGC and IRGC-affiliated personnel and facilities, as appropriate”.

Yemen

The governments of Syria and Iraq are among those in the region who are denouncing the US retaliation with increasing vigor.

Regarding Friday’s strikes, senior advisor to Iraq’s prime minister Farhad Alaaldin said on the BBC’s Newshour program, “No warning was given during the strike or the night of the strike.”

He stated that the “issue of warning or no warning makes no difference to the fact of the matter that Iraq is a sovereign state”.

On Sunday, a large gathering took place in Baghdad to express grief over the deaths of seventeen pro-Tehran militia members in US airstrikes.

The crowd trailed a fleet of ambulances bearing the victims’ bodies while chanting “America is the greatest devil” and holding up pictures of the victims.

The foreign minister of Oman also gave a speech on Sunday, sharing with the Oman News Agency his “deep concerns over the continuous escalation in the region.”

Noting that “such actions compromise the region’s safety, stability, and efforts to tackle challenges like violence and extremism,” Badr Albusaidi questioned the efficacy of US retaliatory attacks.
According to Mr. Sullivan, Washington feels that the strikes have “had a good effect in degrading militia capabilities” on Sunday.

The US “is prepared to deal with anything that any group comes” at them, he said, adding that they are not seeking to launch an indefinite military campaign in the Middle East.

He would not say if US strikes inside Iran were off the table.

One attack on US forces has occurred since Friday’s strikes in Iraq and Syria, a US defense official told the BBC.

The attack in question used rockets to target US forces stationed in Syria near the Euphrates. According to the official, there were no damages or injuries.

Currently traveling to the area is US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who will be stopping in the West Bank, Israel, Egypt, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia.

His “top priority” will be reaching a hostage agreement with Hamas that results in a halt to hostilities in Gaza, Mr. Sullivan declared on Sunday.

The initiative lies with Hamas, he stated, but “we are going to press for it relentlessly”.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments